Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12259/83355
Type of publication: Straipsnis Clarivate Analytics Web of Science Master Journal List / Article in Clarivate Analytics Web of Science Master Journal List (S2)
Field of Science: Miškotyra / Forestry (A004)
Author(s): Stankevičiūtė, Jolanta;Pėtelis, Kęstutis;Baranauskaitė, Jurgita;Narauskaitė, Gintarė
Title: Comparison of two age determination methods of the European Hares (Lepus europaeus Pallas, 1778) in southwest Lithuania
Is part of: Acta biologica universitatis Daugavpiliensis. , Vol. 11, No.1 (2011)
Extent: p. 22-28
Date: 2011
Keywords: European Hares (Lepus europaeus Pallas, 1778);Age;Weight of dry eye lens;Stroh sign
Abstract: In performing European hare population analysis one of the most difficult task is to determine the age of hares. Age analysis is a necessary condition for controlling the population dynamics. Rapidly breeding animals displays a consistent that they are not long-lived. Practically determining hares age usually attribute by ulna coalescence (Stroh's method), but exist some reasons that during the hunting in January - February this attribute can not determine the age of these animals exactly. The aim of our work was to determine the age structure of hunted hares by using two diferent methods and statistically to compare the results. 50 European hares, which were hunted during the years 2008 - 2011 in Vilkaviskis and Marijampole district territories in Southwest Lithuania were examined for estimating their age. The hares was hunted during Nowember- January. The age of hares was determine - by ulna coalescence (Stroh's method) in dissection and by dry eye lenticular weight. After examination by eye lenticular weight method, it was estimated, that 52% of hares were under to one year old. While examined by using Stroh's feature - young, under 1 year old, hares, it was found 10 % more comparing to results, achieved by using eye lenticular method - total 62%. It was found, that using visually identification of hare ulna ossification, there is a tendency to reduce an age of hares. Also it was identified that results achieved by using Stroh's method, statistically corresponds to eye lenticular method's results. Examined hypothesis allows to allege that between both methods results exist a reliance, and Stroh's feature can be successfully used instead of eye lenticular weight method to determine an age of European hare. While formulating the conclusions of scientific research it is expedient to compare the results of Stroh's method with results of eye lenticular weight results
Internet: https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12259/83355
Affiliation(s): Vytauto Didžiojo universitetas
Žemės ūkio akademija
Appears in Collections:Universiteto mokslo publikacijos / University Research Publications

Files in This Item:
marc.xml7.92 kBXMLView/Open

MARC21 XML metadata

Show full item record
Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats
Export to Other Non-XML Formats

Page view(s)

64
checked on May 31, 2020

Download(s)

8
checked on May 31, 2020

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.