Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12259/59381
Type of publication: Konferencijų tezės nerecenzuojamuose leidiniuose / Conference theses in non-peer-reviewed publications (T2)
Field of Science: Ekologija ir aplinkotyra / Ecology and environmental sciences (N012)
Author(s): Vitas, Adomas
Title: Dendrochronological dating of churches in the Kaunas county
Is part of: Baltdendro 2018: 5th international conference of Baltic states dendrochronologists, Liškiava, Lithuania, 5–8 September, 2018 [program and abstracts] / edited by Adomas Vitas and Gabija Surdokaitė-Vitienė. Kaunas : Vytautas Magnus University, 2018
Extent: p. 15-15
Date: 2018
Keywords: Curches in the Kaunas diocese;Dendrochronological datin;Churches age
Abstract: In 2018, dendrochronological dating was performed in five churches located in the Diocese of Kaunas: St. Anna church in Skaruliai, St. George the Martyr church in Kaunas, St. Jacob church in Jonava, Bishop Martin church in Šimkaičiai and St. George church in Kėdainiai. Missing sapwood rings in oak were estimated assuming that the number of sapwood in the Baltic countries ranges from 6 to 18 rings (Sohar et al. 2012). Missing sapwood rings in pine were estimated using the compiled pine sapwood database. It is supposed that St. Anna church in Skaruliai was built in 1620‒1622. The date is based on the fact that a benefaction for the church was given at that time. 26 pine samples from subfloor, attic and roof constructions have been sampled trying to determine dates of the building and main renovations. The first (lowest) floor has been dated to 1630s‒1640s. The upper floor was installed in the 19th c. (between 1810 and 1863). Four oldest beams in the attic were dated to 1571‒1574. The identified renovations in the attic took place in 1600, 1670‒1671, 1715, and 1817. Rafters were replaced in 1676 and 1731. In St. George church in Kaunas, 12 samples of disassembled side altar, parts of Baroque-style pews and choir gallery have been dated. Dating has revealed that the side altar was made in the 1760s. Pews were made from pine and lime. The parts made from pine do not have a waney edge. Therefore, the sapwood estimate has indicated a range between 1777 and 1832, which means that pews could be remade according to the old style after the war of 1812. The dating of pine beam from the choir gallery has indicated that it was built in the second half of the 19th c. (1852‒1899). St. Jacob church in Jonava was built in 1791‒1793. Pine beams in the attic were dated to 1791, which corresponds to the building date of the church. [...]
Internet: http://www.dendrochronology-lt.com/tezes.pdf
Affiliation(s): Aplinkos tyrimų centras
Gamtos mokslų fakultetas
Vytauto Didžiojo universitetas
Appears in Collections:Universiteto mokslo publikacijos / University Research Publications

Files in This Item:
marc.xml6.26 kBXMLView/Open

MARC21 XML metadata

Show full item record
Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats
Export to Other Non-XML Formats

Page view(s)

176
checked on Mar 30, 2020

Download(s)

12
checked on Mar 30, 2020

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.